Programma: Housing, retail, community
Opdrachtgever: Barratt Homes
Fase: gerealiseerd

Maccreanor Lavington has designed a residential led, mixed-use scheme for the redevelopment of this pivotal site within central London. The 1.02 ha site will have five mixed use buildings ranging between 5 & 27 storeys and a significant amount of high quality public space. The scheme will include 336 private and affordable apartments, provided on a tenure-blind basis. At the centre, a courtyard surrounded on all sides by approximately 3,000m2 of small-medium enterprises with an associated café on the new public square.

A brick clad 27 storey tower forms a landmark, demarcating the start of Blackfriars Road. The
hexagonal plan creates slender facades with a vertical emphasis, crowned with filigree white glazed brick pinnacles.

The tower will add a distinctive identity and positive contribution to the new London skyline. A varied palette of brickwork along with recessed decorative glazed brick spandrels and concrete banding are carefully detailed to ensure rich layered urban facades.

A key design principal has been to formally engage with the Circus, and its historical significance. The building fronts the Circus and reinstates the concave Circus elevation in keeping with George Dance the Younger’s 1809 masterplan for the area. The project seeks to transform St George’s Circus into an active node, forming a new destination for high quality local shopping, eating and leisure activities and create a
generous neighbourhood public space.